Ostania aktualizacja postu : 21 February 2023
Habanero peppers – learn about the composition, properties and use of one of the most spicy vegetables. All lovers of spicy flavors and extreme sensations know the Scoville scale, which determines the level of spiciness of dishes, and basically peppers, because this vegetable contains capsaicin responsible for the burning sensation in the mouth. Habanero peppers rank high on this list, ranging from 100,000 to 100,000 tons. up to 350 thousand units and beating the popular tabasco and cayenne (from 30,000 to 50,000 units). Fiery power is not the only feature of these plants. It is worth knowing their composition and properties that may be valuable for our body.
The origin and cultivation of peppers
Habanero peppers belong to the species Capsaicum chinense, but they do not come from China, but from the Amazon basin. They naturally occur within Central America, where they grow most numerously on the Yucatan Peninsula. They are favored by the tropical climate there – hot sun, night temperatures above 15 degrees and regular rainfall. The largest crops of these spicy vegetables are in Mexico, but Panama, Belize, Costa Rica, Ecuador and the southern United States also have their share of agribusiness. Peppers put out white flowers, and after pollination, they give green fruit that will ripen in the sun. They are usually orange or red in color, but purple, white or dark brown shades are also known.
They are distinguished by an irregular, asymmetrical shape, reach up to 6 cm in length and are wide, bulbous, which makes them look decorative. The plant is not demanding in cultivation, we can try to get seedlings or seeds ourselves and take care of cultivation for our own use. We sow them in early spring, they can overwinter at home. They are perennial, after wintering, they bear more fruit in subsequent years. They like sunny places. They do not need a special type of soil, although they prefer slightly acidic soil, it is worth providing them with drainage. Watering should not be too abundant, it is even worth being stingy in this area, then the bitter taste in the fruit will be excluded.
Capsaicin – a valuable component of paprika
Habanero peppers contain a large dose of vitamin C, vitamins B, A, E, beta-carotene, potassium, phosphorus, folic acid, magnesium, calcium, fiber. Due to the fact that they have a low glycemic index, they are recommended for people struggling with diabetes. A significant compound contained in the pulp of peppers is capsaicin. The substance is characterized by an irritating effect on mucous membranes, but under this negative sensation there are also a number of positive properties, this compound is used for its healing, antioxidant and antimicrobial powers. It is worth reaching for it because it stimulates, warms and even causes a euphoric feeling.
Health properties of habanero peppers
The high content of capsaicin affects a number of health-promoting properties. It is worth getting to know them because they have a beneficial effect on:
- diabetes – prevents this disease by regulating insulin spikes,
- fighting bacteria – depending on the dose, its antibacterial effect was noticed on such species as: Salmonella typhimurium, Helicobacter pylon, Pseudomonas aeruginosa,
- rheumatism – thanks to the analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect, it relieves ailments associated with rheumatic pain, joint pain, swelling,
- circulatory system – improves circulation, lowers the level of bad cholesterol,
- stomach ulcers – small doses allow you to maintain prophylaxis against gastric ulcers in healthy people,
- anti-cancer prophylaxis – there are studies confirming its protective effect against metabolisation, mutagenic activity, DNA binding of carcinogenic compounds, especially in the case of prostate cancer and bladder cancer,
- Alzheimer’s disease – ongoing animal tests indicate a positive effect of the substance on preventing neurodegenerative changes,
- slimming – it is used as a component of many drugs accelerating and supporting the process of weight reduction. It takes part in the process of fat burning.
The agent can also be used as a component of pepper spray, thanks to the fact that it irritates the eyes, causes watery eyes, breathing problems, and thus disorientation, it gains the features of a good self-defense tool.
Safe use of peppers
Due to the irritating effect of capsaicin, you should remember to keep it in moderation. Too high a dose can even lead to death due to respiratory disorders. The pure substance, unlike that used in the food industry, can be poisonous, which is why it is used after dilution in appropriate doses in ointments and patches. The toxic dose is about 50 mg per kg of body. When touching the peppers, be careful not to cover your eyes or nose, because the juice will cause a strong burning reaction. The eyes should be rinsed immediately with water or milk, in no case do not rub, this can lead to damage to the cornea. It is best to cut vegetables with gloves and use them as one of the ingredients to soften, dilute the spicy taste. Burning of the esophagus can be relieved by drinking water, fat or alcohol